Oct 29, 2006

Live it up...we have the chance.

I know I write about my philosophy class a lot, but this past unit was especially interesting. It was about what "right" and "wrong" really are and what they mean. Who gets to decide and is it right because they say so, or do they say so because it's right? All that good stuff. Hypothetical situation: There are 10 people in a hospital who all need a transplant for a different organ. Poor you come along with the common cold and the doctors decide that you have some nice looking organs, so they kill you and steal your organs and these 10 other people get to live. According to this ancient philosopher, that would be a "right" thing to do because more good comes from it than bad. 10 people get to live compared to your one life. The thing about that is, what if you go on in life and end up saving over 10 people. You persuade many not to commit suicide? Find a cure for cancer?
*****************************************************
I made a comment the other night, and I almost feel like I have to say something about it. So...tentatively I come forth:
It's hard to think about how things might work if something different happened instead of the reality that did take place. Okay, that's worded a little bit confusing. But anyway, my parents met when they were still in school. Mom was 15 and dad was...umm, 17ish. They were basically the only "real" relationship each other had ever been in. So 2 years later, I hate to be the burden, but my parents had a choice to make as whether they wanted to a child. All I have to say, since I am given the chance to say something, is I am so proud of my mom's stubborn personality.
When I was told this, I really didn't know what to think. Now I think a lot about what might have happened if she had been more like me...always giving in to what other people say, not fighting against "everyone else", voicing my opinion less often than I could. Am I fulfilling my chance, the chance I might not have gotten? Am I giving life all I've got, living it up? I wonder what her life would be like if she had gone through with what I can say is unthinkable on my end. Maybe things would be better right now for her...now it seems like she can't even think out what she's doing. I'm straying away from the point, but basically what I'm trying to say, is that I know that abortion isn't a "joking" matter, no matter how much I miss sonic drinks. I'm sorry.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

about your philosophy class thing....
the doctor was wrong in killing the person with the cold. not just because murder is wrong, but he/she didn't give that person their own chance to make some sort of difference in the world. instead, he/she did it for that person, which is wrong. because, it's very possible that the person murdered could've gone on to help way more than just ten people. that's what i think.

12:28 PM  
Blogger erin said...

Is that not what I said at the end of that paragraph? gotta love ya!
:P

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home